Greet your guests with frothy fun
Kick off your Halloween party with a round of Witches Brew, our eye-catching “mocktail” that’s a real conversation piece. It’s non-alcoholic, so even growing goblins can partake.
Part 1: The details
We think the Witches Brew looks great in old fashioned drinking jars rimmed with black cocktail rimming sugar.
(We found sugar here).
Prepare your glasses
- Black cocktail rimming sugar
- Corn syrup
- Drinking jars
- Fill a shallow dish with the black rimming sugar.
- Coat the rim of each glass with corn syrup.
- Dip the top of each glass into the sugar until it’s nicely coated with a layer of black sugar.
Prepare your broom swizzle sticks
- Solid black cupcake liners (may have a white interior)
- Natural cinnamon sticks (desired length depends on the height of your glassware—we suggest that they stick out of the glass by about 4 or 5 inches)
- Corn syrup
- If necessary, score and break cinnamon sticks to the desired length.
- Take two cupcake holders, flatten them and layer them so that the black layers are facing outward.
- Fold in half.
- With a pair of scissors, cut edges into fringes, stopping about 1/2" from the center.
- Wrap around the end of a cinnamon stick; apply corn syrup as glue.
Part 2: The mocktails
Witches Brew ingredients and supplies
- 2 liters of ginger ale
- 1 liter of mango nectar (we used Jumex brand)
- 1 bottle of grenadine
- 1 long eyedropper
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream—keep it in the fridge until you’re ready to whip
- 2 tablespoons of fine sugar
- 3 teaspoons of unflavored gelatin
Prep the foam
- Pour ½ cup cold whipping cream into a bowl. Sprinkle 3 teaspoons unflavored gelatin and 2 tablespoons sugar into whipping cream and let sit for 3 minutes.
- Whisk vigorously until thick and soft peaks begin to form. Add last ½ cup of whipping cream and whisk until desired thickness of foam is achieved. Foam is now ready to spoon onto drinks.
Concoct the Witches Brew
- Fill sugar-rimmed glass 1/3 full with ginger ale.
- Pour in a layer of mango nectar (should be about 1/5 of the glass).
- Using a long eyedropper, squirt grenadine into the bottom of the glass.
- Spoon on a thick layer of foam.
- Place a broom swizzle stick in the drink.
Warning: Black sugar may discolor your mouth! Tell your guests and keep straws handy.